HACCP ISO 22000
ISO 22000 is the International Food Safety Management Standard.
It combines and supplements the core elements of ISO 9001 and HACCP to provide an effective framework for the development, implementation and continual improvement of a Food Safety Management System (FSMS).
Increasing consumer demand for safe food has led many companies to develop both food quality and safety management systems, based on the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP). In 2001, ISO started the development on an auditable standard, which further defines HACCP’s role in food safety management systems and culminated in the newly formed ISO 22000. The ISO 22000 standard intends to define the food safety management requirements for companies that need to meet and exceed food safety regulations all over the world. One standard that encompasses all the consumer and market needs. It speeds and simplifies processes without compromising other quality or safety management systems.
ISO 22000 is an international certification standard that defines the requirements of food safety management systems. It can be used by all organisations, in the supply chain - from farmers to food services, to processing, transportation, storage, retail and packaging.
ISO 22000 creates a harmonised safety standard that’s accepted the world over. By integrating multiple principals, methodologies and applications, ISO 22000 is easier to understand, apply and recognise. That makes it more efficient and effective as an entry-to-market tool than previous combinations of national standards.
ISO 22000 specifies the requirements for a food safety management system that combines well-recognized key elements to ensure food safety along the food chain, up to the point of final consumption:
- Provide interactive communication, internationally and across the supply chain.
- Compliance with the HACCP principles – Hazard Analysis, Identify Critical Control Points (CCP’s), Establish Critical Links, Monitor CCP’s, Establish Corrective Action, Record Keeping, Verification.
- Harmonise the voluntary and prerequisite standards.
- Create a structure that’s aligned with ISO 9001:2000.
- System management.
- Process control
Benefits of HACCP – ISO 22000:2005 certification
- Customer satisfaction - through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements including quality, safety and legality
- Reduced operating costs - through continual improvement of processes and resulting operational efficiencies
- Operational efficiencies - by integrating pre-requisite programs (PRP’s & OPRP’s), HACCP with the Plan-Do-Check-Act philosophies of ISO 9001 to increase the effectiveness of the Food Safety Management System
- Improved stakeholder relationships - including staff, customers and suppliers
- Legal compliance - by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organization and its customers and testing compliance through internal audits and management reviews
- Improved risk management - through greater consistency and traceability of product
- Proven business credentials - through independent verification against recognized standards
- Ability to win more business - particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a condition to supply
How to achieve HACCP – ISO 22000;2005 certification – HACCP/ISO 22000 implementation / Certification steps
SPK Global Solutions. offers a well defined and globally proven implementation methodology for HACCP / ISO 22000 Food safety management system certification.
- Gap Analysis
- Awareness Training
- Hazard analysis and risk analysis
- Documentation Design and finalization
- Internal Auditor Training and conduct of internal audit
- Management Review Meeting
- Review of Implementation
- Pre-assessment audit
- Stage 1 – certification audit
- Stage 2 – certification audit
- Award of ISO 22000 / HACCP certification
- Continual improvement of the system through value added consulting and training services
What are the requirements of HACCP / ISO 220000 standard ?
Principle #1 Hazard Analysis
Hazards (biological, chemical, and physical) are conditions which may pose an unacceptable health risk to the consumer. A flow diagram of the complete process is important in conducting the hazard analysis. The significant hazards associated with each specific step of the manufacturing process are listed. Preventive measures (temperature, pH, moisture level, etc.) to control the hazards are also listed.
Principle #2 Identify Critical Control Points
Critical Control Points (CCP) are steps at which control can be applied and a food safety hazard can be prevented, eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels. Examples would be cooking, acidification or drying steps in a food process..
Principle #3 Establish Critical Limits
All CCP's must have preventive measures which are measurable! Critical limits are the operational boundaries of the CCPs which control the food safety hazard(s). The criteria for the critical limits are determined ahead of time in consultation with competent authorities. If the critical limit criteria are not met, the process is "out of control", thus the food safety hazard(s) are not being prevented, eliminated, or reduced to acceptable levels.
Principle #4 Monitor the CCP's a
Monitoring is a planned sequence of measurements or observations to ensure the product or process is in control (critical limits are being met). It allows processors to assess trends before a loss of control occurs. Adjustments can be made while continuing the process. The monitoring interval must be adequate to ensure reliable control of the process.
Principle #5 Establish Corrective Action
HACCP is intended to prevent product or process deviations. However, should loss of control occur, there must be definite steps in place for disposition of the product and for correction of the process. These must be pre-planned and written. If, for instance, a cooking step must result in a product center temperature between 165oF and 175oF, and the temperature is 163oF, the corrective action could require a second pass through the cooking step with an increase in the temperature of the cooker..
Principle #6 Record keeping
The HACCP system requires the preparation and maintenance of a written HACCP plan together with other documentation. This must include all records generated during the monitoring of each CCP and notations of corrective actions taken. Usually, the simplest record keeping system possible to ensure effectiveness is the most desirable.
Principle #7 Verification
Verification has several steps. The scientific or technical validity of the hazard analysis and the adequacy of the CCP's should be documented. Verification of the effectiveness of the HACCP plan is also necessary. The system should be subject to periodic revalidation using independent audits or other verification procedures.
HACCP offers continuous and systematic approaches to assure food safety. In light of recent food safety related incidents, there is a renewed interest in HACCP from a regulatory point of view. Both FDA and USDA are proposing umbrella regulations which will require HACCP plans of industry. The industry will do well to adopt HACCP approaches to food safety whether or not it is required.
ISO 22000 requires that you design and document a Food Safety Management System (FSMS). The standard contains the specific requirements to be addressed by the FSMS. Generally the standard addresses:
- Having an overall Food Safety Policy for your organization, developed by top management.
- Setting objectives that will drive your companies efforts to comply with this policy.
- Planning and designing a management system and documenting the system.
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system.
- Establishing a group of qualified individuals to make up a Food Safety Team.
- Defining communication procedures to ensure effective communication with important contacts outside the company (regulatory, customers, suppliers and others) and for effective internal communication.
- Having an emergency plan
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance of the FSMS
- Providing adequate resources for the effective operation of the FSMS including appropriately trained and qualified personnel, sufficient infrastructure and appropriate work environment to ensure food safety
- Following HACCP principles
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of product
- Establishing a corrective action system and control of nonconforming product
- Maintaining a documented procedure for handling withdrawal of product
- Controlling monitoring and measuring devices
- Establishing and maintaining and internal audit program
- Continually updating and improving the FSMS
Integrate HACCP / ISO 22000 with other management system standards
ISO 22000 / HACCP is designed to be compatible with other management systems standards and specifications, such as ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 17025, ISO 27001, ISO 14001 and other ISO management standards. They can be integrated seamlessly through Integrated Management system approach. They share many principles so choosing an integrated management system can offer excellent value for money and an easier approach to implement, manage and improve multiple standards simultaneously.
What we offer in the field of HACCP / ISO 22000 standard and certification
As one of the largest food safety management system certification consulting companies across the world with clients in more than 40 countries, our knowledge and experience of the standards is unsurpassed. We understand how to fully exploit the benefits of your quality management system to ensure you unlock the true potential in your organization.
We provide unmatched expertise and technical competence to ensure that your haccp / iso 22000 food safety management system certification project adds value to your organization.
We provide consulting, training, internal audits, pre assessment audits and facilitation during iso 22000 certification audit.
We offer our global knowledge moulded locally to bring in the best results for our clients and partner their journey of standardization, compliance, growth, success and continual improvements.
Contact us now, to get your organization HACCP / ISO 22000-2005 certified in the most effective and efficient manner while realizing the true benefits of the certification using our specialized ISO 22000 / HACCP implementation methodology that is less time consuming, fast, easy to understand and implement, result oriented, time bound and cost effective. Get HACCP / ISO 22000 certified now with us….
Call Us : +91 9490969573, 7893893646
Email Us : email@example.com